Monday, March 03, 2014

 

News to Know March 3 NEW RESOURCE LINE

BERLIN NEWS TO KNOW March  3, 2014

*
This  communication is put together and distributed on a volunteer basis by resident Corinne Stridsberg simply in an effort to share information and build community, it is not from the town of Berlin.
Please share this with your Berlin friends and neighbors.  If you're not already receiving this news directly by email, send an email to request this to corinnestridsberg@gmail.com.
*
Check out the Berlin, Vermont Community News page on facebook to find bits of current news, some not included here:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Berlin-Vermont/205922199452224

 

NOTE: Pre Town Meeting TONIGHT Monday, March 3rd at 6PM  at Berlin Elementary School.  Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 4th Town Meeting starts at 10am and the polls for voting are open from 10am to 7pm


*********************

Included below please find:

BERLIN RESOURCE LINE
BURELLI FARM ON MUZZY ROAD
JEREMY HANSEN FOR SELECTBOARD
HEATHER COLLINS FOR BOARD OF SCHOOL DIRECTORS
GEORGE GROSS FOR BOARD OF SCHOOL DIRECTORS
*********************
BERLIN RESOURCE LINE
It is super exciting to announce that there is now a phone line at the town office to call to hear recorded announcements which will be updated weekly.  Dial 552-8805. 
Please help spread the word, especially to those who are not internet users! 
Announcements will include upcoming meetings, events, deadlines, etc.  Since We're looking at Friday to be the day it will be updated.  This is not a line to leave messages, just to hear the recorded message.
***
***
BURELLI FARM ON MUZZY ROAD
We have been selling chicken, beef, and pork for several years. Right now we do not have any product but starting in May we will begin processing chickens in our new state inspected processing building here at the farm.
Katherine Fanelli & Peter Burmeister
Burelli Farm: Pastured Beef, Pork, and Certified Organic Chickens
567 Muzzy Road,
Berlin, VT 05602
H.802-224-9049; C.802-595-2573
http://www.burellifarm.com and look for them on facebook
***
***
JEREMY HANSEN FOR SELECTBOARD
I served my first year on the Selectboard this year, in a 1-year seat, and aside from the sometimes long meetings taking me away from my family, I really enjoyed it! Because Pete Kelley chose to run only for one year this time around, I opted to run for his 3-year seat. As sometimes happens, I'm running unopposed, but in the interest of openness, I'd like to briefly re-introduce myself.

My day job is at Norwich University, where I teach courses in computer science and do research in computer security, privacy, and the math behind elections and voting. Here are some of the projects I have worked on with my students:


I live near Berlin Pond with my wife and two kids, who are 3 and 5, the older of whom is in Kindergarten at Berlin Elementary. In my free time, I enjoy playing with my kids, reading, cooking, brewing beer, playing and listening to music, camping, fishing, and gardening.

My goal as a Selectboard member is to continue making what goes on with the Selectboard open and accessible, as well as translating feedback from all of you into sensible choices and action. I want everyone to have a voice in the decisions that affect them! Thankfully, I've heard from many of you about a variety of different issues, and I hope to continue to hear from you.

So that I could make informed decisions about the different departments of the town, I rode along with Sgt. Mark Monteith and Cpl. Chad Bessette of the Berlin Police Department last summer and with Highway Foreman Tim Davis one morning back in December after a snowstorm. After that experience and my ongoing interactions with the other employees, I can assure you that we have a professional, dedicated staff working for the residents of Berlin across the board. I look forward to seeing or meeting you next week, and as usual, feel free to call or email with any questions!

Jeremy
279-6054
***
***
HEATHER COLLINS FOR BOARD OF SCHOOL DIRECTORS
Greetings Friends and Neighbors!  My name is Heather Collins and I’m running for school board for Berlin Elementary.  My husband and I along with our 2 children live in West Berlin.
I became interested in running for the school board after attending both a recent school board meeting and the PTNA meeting where we worked with the curriculum coordinator on our  BES Family-School Compact.   I learned our school lunch program was running with an alarming deficit and that over 50% of BES students qualify for free lunch.  I also learned that there are title one funds that are set aside to pay for tutoring services for students that qualify for free lunch, however in the past two years not a single qualifying student has taken advantage of these funds for tutoring services. 
My goals for serving on the school board are to:
       1.            To ensure our school lunch program is able to serve nutritious foods within our budget by consulting with the other schools within our supervisory union that are able to serve lunches at or above our current quality for less $ per plate.
       2.            Work toward getting our school lunch period back to 30 minutes (it is currently 20 minutes from classroom to leaving cafeteria).  Promoting healthy eating shouldn’t be a cram session and healthy foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables require more chewing time.
       3.            Brainstorm with BES administration on how all students who need additional educational support regardless of income can receive these services at school without cutting into their current curriculum times. Perhaps by offering before or after school services using released title one funds to hire qualified professionals.
       4.            Work with administration to incorporate more outdoor time for our students.  Encourage faculty to use the outdoors more for lessons. Many of the other schools in our supervisory union have PE outside weather permitting year around.  A recent article from the National Association for the Education of Yung Children (NAEYC) states “We found no research to support administrators’ assumptions that test scores required by No Child Left Behind could be improved by keeping children in the classroom all day” and “Research on memory and attention shows that recall is improved when learning is spaced out rather than concentrated. Recess provides breaks during which the brain can “regroup.” “  Read the full article at: https://www.naeyc.org/files/ yc/file/200909/On%20Our% 20Minds%20909.pdf
       5.            I’d also like to keep the community more informed of the items and decisions of the BES school board by utilizing media such as Front Porch Forum and/or Facebook.

I would appreciate your vote on town meeting day!  Feel free to contact me at hcmc@tds.net 
***
***
GEORGE GROSS FOR BOARD OF SCHOOL DIRECTORS
My name is George Gross and I am running for school board for Berlin Elementary school. My wife and I have two children, one in the school now and a second will attend soon. We have chosen to make Berlin our home for many reasons and strive to do our part to make it a great town for young and old alike.
I feel my background in education will benefit the board and school in many ways. I have taught in public schools for 15 years and hold a masters degree in education. I feel that there is typically a huge disconnect between teachers,parents and administration in most schools, I would like to use my job experience and education to help eliminate that in our town school. I would also work towards fiscal responsibility that provides equal opportunity for all learners, it is important to me that our students are offered as much opportunity to learn and grow as we can provide.
While some of you know me as the owner of Dog River Farm, I have also spent much time in public schools prior to my farm venture. In the classroom, on various committees and negotiating contracts, I feel I possess many traits that will benefit the students,teachers and families of our town. I appreciate your vote on town meeting day. George Gross
***

***

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?